Submissions for the World Unknown Review Volume IV (2017) are now officially OPEN. The deadline will be October 31st, 2017. Please considering the following guidelines and notes before submitting. Details are subject to change. Last change made: January 7, 2017.
Basics: The authors selected for the Review received three (3) contributor copies of the publication as well as $15 (USD) via check or PayPal or $30 (USD) for the novella competition. Any international writers (outside the US) will be paid via PayPal only. There is no entry fee, and applicants may submit as many stories as they would like. All we ask is that these simple rules be followed:
1. Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com. Please send entries with the subject “World Unknown Review Submission.” Send submissions as an ATTACHMENT in .doc, .docx, or .rft formats. Please, no PDFs. If you are submitting multiple stories at one time, please send them all in one email.
2. All entries must be submitted before the deadline, October 31st, 2017. Responses will follow a few weeks after the deadline, usually November 15th.
3. For short stories and poetry, there is no limit on word count, though moderately sized stories stand a better chance. Novella entries must be 17,5000 words or more, broken up into several chapters.
4. Final decisions are purely on the opinion of the editor of the collection, L.S. Engler. We strive for variety above all else and welcome all genres.
5. Please include a small blurb about yourself for the eventual publication.
6. Spread the word! Okay, technically, this is not a rule, but please spread the news around that World Unknown Review is looking for submissions. It’s a great opportunity to be a part of something new and exciting.
7. We ask for one-time, non-exclusive anthology rights, which means that you retain all rights to your work. We may ask to feature your story on this website or in future volumes, but we will only do so with your express permission.
8. We accept reprints under certain circumstances. Please feel free to submit a previously published story with the details of its previous publication(s), and we will consider them on a case-by-case basis. Do not submit stories for which you currently do not hold the copyright.
Response Time: This year, we’re going to try something a little different. Our submission period is a very long time, but we usually don’t get around to considering pieces until closer to the deadline. As an author myself, I can understand the frustration of waiting a very long time just to receive a rejection. This year, we will try to respond to pieces that we know won’t be a good fit as soon as possible. If you don’t hear from us, you can assume your story is being held for consideration. It might be held up until the final deadline, it might be “bumped off” sometime prior to that. We offer feedback on all submissions (unless an author expressly asks for no feedback), but please do not resend a story already submitted to us, even if you alter it based on our suggestions. We offer the suggestions only as perspective to help you place it elsewhere, as we’ve already decided it isn’t a good fit for us. Feel free to submit a new story, though.
Cover Artwork: We will also be accepting submissions for cover art, original drawings or photographs that might be chosen for the cover. Due to the important nature of a cover, the payment for the winning photograph or artwork will be $25 (USD). This year, the cover will be in shades of red, so please consider that with your submission.
Previous Volumes: Though we strive for variety and would love to see unexpected and unpredictable things, it never hurts to have a look at previous volumes to get a feel for the types of stories we appreciate most. Previous volumes can be found here:
Thank you for your consideration in making the World Unknown Review so spectacular for another year. I’m really looking forward to reading what you have to offer and welcoming new life into the WUR family.
Please feel free to comment with questions or contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.