Yesterday, I talked about my goals for the year in general; today, we narrow our focus a little bit to a mere slice of the year, the next Round of Words in 80 Days, which starts today and runs through March 22nd, just two days before my birthday. So, clearly, there will need to be a party.
Last month, I played around with the idea of not itemizing all my goals as I had in previous posts, and I felt that this, in addition to the craziness of working retail during the holidays, hindered rather than helped me. So I will be returning to breaking down all the goals when I give my updates; it helps me focus and get a better grip on how I’m doing. So here’s what I’ll be working on, whittled down a little bit, though I know I’ll probably add more stuff later.
1. Serpent in a Cage: Editing/rewriting at least a page of day of my biggest WIP, Serpent in a Cage, will continue to be my main focus. I know I’m about halfway through the original draft right now, and, though I know I keep saying I’ll finish it one of these rounds, I’m going to go ahead and say the same again this month. Really, I should be finished with it if I’m doing at least 80 pages for the Round, or at least get really, really close.
2. Short Story Collection: Since I’ve dedicated myself to publishing at least 2 ebooks this year, I’ve decided to take it a little easy with the first one (which is mostly experimental anyway) and gather up a bunch of old short stories and hopefully some new ones, put them together, and make them into a book. After SiaC, editing and building this collection will be my next top goal, and I hope to have it finished by the end of February. This will then leave the last month to build up an outline for Novel No. 02. Write and/or edit at least a page of content a day.
3. The 100 Books Project: A new year means a fresh start on my quest to read 100 books in one year. I didn’t quite make it last year, and there’s a post on that coming, and if I break things down for the three months that fits into RoW80, I should have read 25 books by the end of the round. Ooof! That’s a lot of reading, but I know I managed to pull of almost ten books in December, so it’s definitely do-able!
4. Blogging: I’m going to continue to try to post every day and comment on at least one other blog every day, especially on check-in days. Naturally, I would love to do more, and I’m sure I will. This is definitely the light, taking it easy goal.
5. Black Dome Society: Lastly, when I’m not working on the other projects, I hope to get a lot more work done on Black Dome Society. I intend to have at least five chapters done and sent to my co-author by the end of January, and then I’d like to take the rest of the time working with him and finishing up the rough draft or at least a fully fleshed outline by the end of March. I figure if I write at least a page a day, I’ll have 33 pages by the end of January, and 99 by the end of March, which wouldn’t be too shabby at all.
As it stands right now, these are my main goals. Some of the projects, like my NaNo piece and the Novel in 6 Months challenge, have fallen to the wayside. I’m tucking them away for the moment to better focus on the projects that aren’t as jumbled or demanding. I’m sure other ideas and muses will pop up along the way, but, for right now, I’m going to go ahead and finish this up and get to work!
Good luck, everyone!